Media monitoring allows you to achieve a competitive advantage at the level of many business areas. From PR, HR, customer service, product development and marketing, advertising and sales. The Internet is largely open and public. If someone speaks about the brand (whether positively or negatively), it is worth reacting quickly and participating in such a discussion. The absentees have no reason. Sometimes, they can overcome the media crisis, and sometimes through the loss of a user who could become a customer and even an ambassador of our brand.
Interestingly, when monitoring the content and communication of Internet users, you can benefit even more. How? It is worth changing the mentioned keywords, brands, comments, discussion threads and other data into new content resources. Use media monitoring to create new content. The key to success is to include content related to monitoring in content planning strategies.
Content marketing is among the marketers’ priorities for the passing and next year 2019 in almost all surveys. Most of us check and compare products and services online before making a purchase. People want good content that will help them make the right decisions, but they do not like it when someone sells them intensely. We are overwhelmed by banner / advertising blindness – consumers prefer to get to know companies using interesting articles instead of advertising. Poland is one of the world’s leaders in blocking ads by adblock.
And this effective content helps build relationships with clients. They generate activity on a website and social media accounts, increase effectiveness on search results pages and provide the opportunity to share them with friends. Publishing new articles and updating existing content helps maintain good visibility in search results and makes users return more often to our site or to wall.
The most important advantages of content marketing:
- It improves the brand’s reputation by building trust;
- Unique content influences the increase of conversion (up to 6x);
- Optimized content helps improve the effects and actions of SEO;
- Creating engaging content is a cost-effective way to attract new, potential customers;
- Content allows your brand to present your knowledge as an industry expert;
- It helps to build relationships with users and to acquire new leads;
- It helps differentiate yourself from the competition;
- Supports processes at every stage of the sales funnel (awareness raising, evaluation, conversion).
- Supports any other digital marketing strategy (PPC, mailing, social media, influencer marketing, …).
Create content from monitored media
An interesting idea for creating new content is the use of data from the media monitoring. Marketer usually has several dozen content forms in the arsenal, which he can create for enriching dry content.
Many such forms can be created on the basis of the huge amount of data coming from media monitoring tools. One almost automatically and the other with a little effort of the analysis, marketing and graphic team. Always in accordance with the best SEO practices.
People and search engine crawlers do not like dry content. Entries overloaded with plain text will not arouse much curiosity and will not encourage you to reach the last dot. You need to enrich them with pictures, graphics, tables, diagrams, video, podcasts or quotes. This is both online and offline. Books without illustrations are much harder to read.
20 ideas for new content from media monitoring
We have prepared 20 proposals for the preparation of interesting, sometimes even unique content that can be prepared on the basis of data from media monitoring tools:
- Attract the user to valuable content that you have already created.
Collect and present materials from various websites and portals – employee articles, interviews, press releases and mentions with publications about the brand and the company.
- Tweets and posts as references.
One of the most interesting and increasingly popular methods of collecting and publishing references are posts and tweets in social media. Collecting credentials is very important and gives an amazing value to a good product. But we all realize how hard it is to ask the sales department to extract such praise from the customer.
Media monitoring is the solution. The advantages of using such social reviews are:
- Credibility and verifiability (anyone can see immediately who published them)
- Up-to-date (the latest reviews will appear on TOP)
- Faster distribution
Twitter is the most effective and efficient way to collect and promote these opinions, because most tweets are public and open. In addition, you can easily place tweets on your website and scale the display process using “likes” on Twitter (recently, favorites, etc.).
You can devote a column of the dashboard to alerts on your computer, so you can instantly get in touch with your Twitter posts. Many companies post such verified tweets in Press Centers or the section They wrote about us.
- Use the questions asked via social media on the subpage with questions and answers – the so-called FAQ.
Users much more freely comment products and services publicly on social platforms, forums and blogs than they send e-mails with inquiries to the company and are waiting for a response. It is very important to monitor such conversations to:
- Repair defects and errors immediately
- Recommend quick solutions to problems
- Avoid reputation crises
- Change unsatisfied customers in the brand’s supporters
- Make sure that these questions and concerns are addressed properly and the solutions proposed in the appropriate sections of your website
Creating a FAQ section is a continuous process. The knowledge base of each website should evolve along with the market, product and company. However, it often happens that a company creates a FAQ or a glossary at the beginning of the website creation and for years it has been published in an unchanged form – it is a mistake. Monitoring can greatly help in creating such new questions and responses and development of this section.
It is also important to monitor mentions of competitors and competing (and even complementary) products. Do you want to know what questions competition clients ask to offer them a better answer (right away and on your website in the FAQ section)? Monitor competition and industry.
- Summary of important events.
You can use monitoring data to summarize events, fairs, conferences, congresses, sports, economic, political or cultural events.
- Annual summaries.
You can present trends of certain phenomena throughout the whole year, broken down into individual months, weeks or days. The exported data will allow you to create and add a trend line.
- Year-to-year statements.
The archive of the monitoring tool allows access to data from a few or even 10 years ago. Thanks to this, the marketer can prepare a list and compare year to year of occurrence of a specific phenomenon or discussion on a given topic.
- Create interesting research, statements and charts.
Statistics are helpful not only when presenting the scale of certain phenomena. Recourse to data means that the material is more substantive and more difficult to undermine. In addition, other authors often refer to interesting analyzes from other studies.
An interesting graphical presentation of the results of analyzes makes the material more interesting and easier to understand for recipients. In addition, it can affect its better remembering.
- Lists and rankings “Best of the best”, “TOP 10”, “Most popular …”.
If you create and share a lot of interesting materials, e-books, reports or guides, you can make a list and ranking from time to time Best, Most commonly or Mostly commented with links to relevant pdfs or landing pages. Of course, the numbers you need can be downloaded from the media monitoring. In this way, you create a new content with minimal effort and you still get valuable links to your materials. Such content is very often distributed and quoted.
What if you do not have a lot of such materials yet? They have partners, agencies, associations or influencers. Thanks to your new look at their materials and references, you will also reach interesting ranges.
E-commerce can create a list of the best-selling products from the offer or a given category along with links to the place where you can buy them.
- Create blog entries in response to user problems.
Develop threads discussed by users on social media platforms and create unique blog content that is an extension of their problem solving. Use comments, graphic elements and statistics.
- Memories about partners in monthly mentions – posts, articles, newsletters, films and infographics.
An interesting tactic of using online brand monitoring is to promote your promoters. Use all marketing channels to attract users to content that promotes your business. Think about such benefits:
- You are cultivating your relationships with already involved influencers and bloggers who wrote about the brand, turning them into even more loyal members of your community
- You can generate more placement for positive mentions about the brand, and thus create a stronger digital context around it
Place these mentions about partner sites in your content on the page, using regular summaries or “recommended” sections. In this way:
- Encourage your promoters to get involved in your website (by making the content resource available to them)
- You will build the authority of pages mentioning you (and thus increase their visibility in Google’s search results)
- Encourage partners to mention your brand (in the hope that you will also include them in your materials)
- Ask them to share their remarks with their community (and increase their reach)
This process works on many levels, among others thanks to building relationships with micro-influencers, bloggers and start-ups. Each of them will care about valuable references and linking (and this is very important in SEO).
- Collect pictures of fans with a brand mascot, a certificate or a specific product.
Fans of the brand or ordinary internet users often boast about successful purchase or tested equipment with the brand’s logo. It is worth archiving and sharing such photos in a special section. For better references and visualisations will be difficult.
- Entries about the brand presented live on the screens of events, events, concerts or matches. Use the event hashtag.
Participants of events happily boast of staying and insert pictures of large screens or screens with our brand or our hashtag in the background. This is another source of content to be used.
- Share photos taken on specially prepared stages, stands or frames with the company logo.
If the company has a specially prepared stand, rollup or frame, it is worth collecting photos of fans taking photos and sharing them in a special section on Instagram, Pinterest or upload to the album with photos on Facebook.
- Create tag clouds from the most popular words.
Tag clouds are created as a graphic form of searched keywords and appearing convergent contextual words associated with them. The size and thickness of words means the frequency of their occurrence in a given analysis. In addition to words, you can use hashtags. Use clouds on the blog, in posts or infographics.
Use monitoring data to create modern and unique infographics, or graphical visualizations of information and data, designed to show complex processes in a clear and accessible way.
- Scans from newspapers and magazines with articles about our brand or employees.
Similarly as with the articles of our employees, which we collect from all over the Internet, we can deal with printed materials. Press monitoring will allow you to search for such references. Of course, you need to describe these scans well with HTML and title HTML tags and properly name the files, adequately to the material presented.
- Publish video and audio materials.
Use audio and video recordings with mentions about the brand. Prepare podcasts with visual content and interviews with company representatives. Such materials are more difficult to position if they are inaccurately indescribable – that is why it is worth considering whether we put a specific video or tagged print screen in the form of a picture leading to a specific video.
- Industry reports.
On the basis of media monitoring materials, you can prepare extensive reports describing major phenomena and their changes over time. Data can be used to draw specific conclusions or forecast trends. You can invite industry experts and partners to give credibility to your results and ask them to comment or make a statement showing their views on a given topic.
- Publish materials from around the world about the latest trends in the industry.
In many industries, technological innovations come from the markets of Western Europe, Great Britain, the USA, Japan or the Far East. It is worth drawing on such ideas and catching the most interesting mentions and articles from foreign media. This will be ensured by monitoring with access to foreign resources. Such content will be very unique – especially when we describe the phenomenon as the first one.
- Relations from events.
Reports from events accompanied by video material and photos are readily viewed and read, especially by those who are absent, who could not attend the event. Descriptions of lectures or exhibitors can be enriched with monitoring data showing eg peak hours of interest in the event or the number of comments, opinions and general interest.
The above-mentioned ways to promote new content can be recommended and ensure that they work well in the battle. We have been using them ourselves in Newspoint with successes for years. For sure, however, you can find other, unconventional solutions that will help enrich the materials prepared by the brand.